“I sure do like those Christmas cookies, babe. The ones that look like Santa clause, Christmas trees and bells, and stars. I sure do like those Christmas cookies, babe.”
Oh, George Strait, that song makes me so happy! If you haven’t heard it.. Google it! 🙂
My Christmas break officially began last night with some Christmas cookie decorating Christmas trees, bells, stars and even a moon. George would have been proud.
Every year my mother-in-law, Jenny, prepares the dough, as well as, a warm comforting dinner for the entire family. She actually cooks for us just about every week, which is incredible. I swear she has super powers in order to do everything she does!
Now back to the cookies. These cookies have a slight hint of cinnamon, and are great for cookie cutting and frosting. They are not a bit healthy, but they are for Santa, and he doesn’t mind! 😉
I had so much fun watching my 5-year-old nephew, Joseph, decorate his cookies while nibbling on the fallen crumbs, and of course joining him on the nibbling. This is one of my newest, favorite Christmas traditions that I have become apart of!
I asked Jenny if she would be willing to share her recipe with my readers and she told me she was happy to!
Santa’s Sugar Cookies
• 1 cup crisco
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 3/4 cups flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Cream crisco and sugar together.
2. Add eggs, cinnamon, and vanilla and mix.
3. In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients and gradually mix into the wet ingredients.
4. Roll dough out 1/2 inch thick and chill for 2-4 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Santa’s Cookie Icing Ingredients
• 2 tsp evaporated milk
• 2 sticks of butter
• 1 tsp vanilla
• powdered sugar
1. Cream together milk, butter, and vanilla.
2. Slowly add powdered sugar till desired thickness is reached.
What is your favorite Christmas Tradition?