What have I been doing the past 7 days? Well besides loads of studying and 1/2 marathon training (10 more weeks ah!)… I have been doing the Whole9, Whole30 program. That means eating NO grains, NO dairy, and NO preservatives. So what have I been eating then? I have tried a couple new recipes, but really, I have been eating virtually the same foods I already eat. Minus oatmeal *tear*, Peanut butter *double tears*, and coffee creamer *BOO.
Other than that, I have had the usual eggs (LOTS of EGGS), veggies, avocados, sweet potatoes, chicken, and beef. I even broadened my palate some with bacon, coconut milk, and dates. It has been a relatively easy change for me… so far.
Changes I have noticed:
- less bloated feelings for sure!
- freedom from the sugar loaded garb (I can’t eat it, so I don’t have to decided if I want to or not).
Whole 9 Life posted a timeline of what you might expect on a day-by-day basis, so I have been monitoring how I have felt to see if I experience some of the same things!
Their post can be found at this link: The Timeline: A Day-by-Day Guide to Your Whole 30.
- Whole9 Timeline Says: So what’s the big deal?
- I Said: The same thing! This is easy as pie.. er I mean bacon and eggs! I prepped meals and felt confident!
- Whole9 Timeline Says: The Hangover
- I Said: Nope still feeling pretty good… I do want cake though… and coffee creamer.
- Whole9 Timeline Says: Kill all things!!!!
- I Said: I feel foggy, hangoverish and I want to kill all things, and sleep. The food isn’t bad because I made it in advance, but I am a cranky girl.
- Whole9 Timeline Says: I just want a nap.
- I said: Yes I still want a nap… but I can do this and I look forward to my veggie filled meals!
Some of the things I ate! (not everything I ate)
Which brings us to day 8. Today! I feel awesome and awake and sooo happy because I made homemade almond milk to put in my coffee this morning! Genius! Whole30 says not to drink store bought almond milk because they are actually filled with lots of extra ingredients and preservatives. I had no idea! They did say in a forum you can make your own though!
Score! I have never made it before, but have seen it on many other blogs and all have seemed to have pretty positive experiences. That was all I needed to convince me, so I gave it a go.
What you need:
- 1 cup almonds (soaked over night)
- 3 cups water
- optional: dates, vanilla, cinnamon or whatever you want to flavor it with.
- Nut Milk Bag****
Here is the thing… I don’t have a nut milk bag (yes it is a funny name), they are highly, highly recommended though. I used this thing in it’s place..
It was slow, messy, and not as efficient as the bag probably is, just a warning!
Homemade Almond Milk
- Soak 1 cup almonds over night! Must! Must! Must! Or soak at least an hour before hand. This lets the almonds soak up water and get soft and plump for easy blending.
- Put 3 cups of water, and soaked almonds in the blender. I added 3 dates to this also, but you can add whatever other flavoring you want!
- Blend on scary HIGH for 1 minute.
- This is when you take your nut milk bag (or make due strainer) and run the milk through it, to separate it from the almond meal.
- Once separated you can keep the milk in the fridge.
**save your almond meal and use it in place of flour, in oatmeal or whatever else you can think of (nothing wasted)!
…and then I enjoyed some in my coffee. Success!
Now for the moment you have all been waiting for…
Scentsy Giveaway Time!
This giveaway is in honor of a fundraiser started by my sweet friend, Miranda, to support our friends Alyssa and Matthew Erwin. “Scents” for baby Erwin. <— (yesterdays post). Their baby boy will be born with Spina Bifida, so we wanted to do something to give them our love and support and allow others to reach out to them as well!
The fundraiser Miranda set up is a Scentsy party fundraiser, so any Scentsy products you purchase from this party, donates a portion of the proceeds to Alyssa and Matthew. The link to the party is: Scents for baby Erwin.
The giveaway: A Baby Buddy + Scent Pak
In order to enter the giveaway, I am asking that you:
- visit this link: Scents for baby Erwin, and Pick out your baby buddy and scent pak! Leave a comment with which one you would like!
- Share the party link —-> Scents for baby Erwin <—- on Facebook or Twitter for an extra entry (be sure to comment and let me know you did this!)
The giveaway will be open until next Friday (3/15) at noon (One week).